Monday 15 October 2007

The mother of all assumptions

I've just fixed a long outstanding set of bugs to do with automatically learning about the various properties that your equipment has. It was a subtle class of bug: I had made and documented the assumption that the object_can_flag() function and family is only called on objects in the inventory, and immediately broken that assumption in lots of places. I'm now passing around a floor flag to indicate that the object is not in the inventory.

As for the next release: I'm aiming for the end of October, as the next Angband competition is concluding then.

6 comments:

Mikolaj said...

Could you decide on going back to Hobbiton now? I'd start playtesting and tweaking stuff to agree with your decision...

Andrew Doull said...

It should be inaccessible, based on the comprehensive poll results.

Mikolaj said...

I don't remember you saying the polls are conclusive and not only advisory. ;) I voted against you, but seriously I won't be offended...

Andrew Doull said...

Um, you voted for Hobbiton being inaccessible, I'm agreeing with you... or did I miss something.

Mikolaj said...

Really? I always thought you like Hobbiton accessible? Otherwise, why would you change it to accessible? Unless it was another, informal, poll. :) BTW, when you are happy with your room descriptions I'd propose to make a poll about showing them by default.

Andrew Doull said...

I'm 95% happy with the room descriptions. The only major problem remaining is sometimes features from the room description don't appear, because they have been tunnelled through by the tunnelling code. I'm not going to worry about that for this version, which has more urgent stuff outstanding (e.g. overall stability). I should be getting a Linux based machine soon, which will greatly increase the scope for debugging outstanding issues (e.g. Valgrind) to address that.

What's probably more important is having a way of 'prioritising messages', which would include room descriptions. I'm going to do a blog post about it so will discuss it there further.